Think quality tabloid – short and to the point – when writing content for you website, advises content specialist, Editorial Consultancy, in its top-10 tips for effective websites. email@example.com
Top Tips For Effective Websites
1. Get the home page right: make sure your homepage downloads quickly and contains relevant information. You are losing the battle if the user has to click again on the home page before being able to access any useful information.
2. Keep text sharp and relevant: use headlines, sub-heads and short paragraphs. Keep text active – use verbs in headlines. Think quality-tabloid!
3. Ensure the users can quickly gain access to the service or information required: put the answers to the most frequently asked questions, or to the most important pieces of information up front.
4. Keep the number of clicks necessary to a minimum.
5. Label buttons with relevant information: don’t waste buttons by labelling them vaguely.
6. Use animation at your own risk: website users generally have just a nine-second attention span – busy graphics will just distract from your message.
7. Make sure your company message does not resemble an ad: research has shown that web-page viewers usually gloss over advertisements without reading them.
8. Use clear design: text must be readable – coloured text on a coloured background may look arty, but can anyone read it?
9. However, do use colour. Relevant use of colour can strengthen your website identity and make it easier to use.
10. Navigation. Use logical, intuitive website navigation – it is a good idea to get some potential website users to test the site. Give them specific tasks and see how easy it is for them to get results. Put a site-map link and home link on every page.
Sheila O’Kelly, Editorial Consultancy. Mobile: 087 239 3651; Tel: 01 4921473;